Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Award Winning BBQ??? Nah, Just So-So BBQ


BEHOLD!!! The place that became the source of my BBQ ire a little over a week ago. This is Buckingham's BBQ, allegedly the "Worlds Greatest". Uh, be careful when throwing out claims like that, someone like my self will call you on it and if you disappoint, I WILL fix your logo as you see pictured. I figured one disappointing job deserved another. Yesterday, I took the liberty to except Buckingham's invitation to give them another shot(now that the whole communication fiasco has been resolved). The result was still a bit of a let down.

Have a nice day? I guess enjoy your meal is out of the question.

I ordered a 1/3 slab of ribs, a count of 4 ribs, but they were a bit generous and they gave me 5. Last time they gave me 6. This is exactly the same order I got last time, including the fries(regular and sweet potato), so I did a redo of my last meal with them. As you can see by this photo, it doesn't look bad, although I did notice that it could have been trimmed better as there were gristly cartilage still attached and I know they didn't trim of the underside membrane that most rib aficionados usually do:

As I stated earlier, it could have been trimmed and prepped better as I know they didn't remove that very thin white membrane that is on the underside of the ribs. Here they left it on and it cooked into the bone. Some smokers(and there are very few of them and they are usually dry rib smokers) say that in doing so it will hold in the moisture, I have a hard time buying that. If you leave it on, you get this 'consistency of paper' film on the bottom of the ribs that really doesn't sit well with me. Here is a look at the underside:

Now for the real test, just how tender were these ribs? They were better, so on a scale of 1-10, I'll give them a 7. The point here was to see if I could take one finger from each hand and be able to separate one rib from another with the least amount of resistance. This next photo shows how it was fairly easy:

If you notice, there is a hint of the smoke ring, but it's faint. If you don't know what a smoke ring is, it's a layer of pinkish colored meat towards the surface of the meat. It's a chemical reaction that you get when you cook meat using the low(heat)and slow(time) method. You here this a lot from great pit masters, "Low and Slow." It is the ONLY way to cook good BBQ, PERIOD. Back to the ribs, there was a bit of resistance but this was CLEARLY better than the last batch I got. I also want to make this clear, they have the BEST FRIES going. I really enjoyed the sweet potato fries, they were awesome. A true test of fries is if you can eat them without wanting ketchup, honey mustard, BBQ sauce, etc...These bad boys were seasoned perfectly(I hate over salted fries). But of course, as always, the sides shouldn't out do the main part of the dish and again they did.

I did this whole picture show to show proof of my findings rather than giving an angry rant like some old fart nearly getting knocked on his ass by some hyperactive skateboarders. In this case here, I think I clearly busted the "Greatest BBQ" claim made by these people. Are they terrible, NO, but there is better and I will say that I've had better at some chain restaurants. If you want an overall score of this place, I give the ribs a generous 7/10, the sides hit the mark, so 10 there. The place was also very clean and smelled great like a BBQ joint should, so 10 there as well. I thought I was VERY generous with my ribs score and I still have some money left on the giftcard that was given to me by management, so I may go back to try their brisket...and MOST DEFINITELY their fries.

9 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

Don't you just hate when "world's greatest" really ain't so?

California Girl said...

ok, while they may have tasted good, or not, and while they may [falsely] claim they are the worlds greatest, I'm sorry but those just so didn't look good at all.

The CDM said...

Darius - That's why I do what I do, my friend.

Cali girl - I think you're used to what sauced ribs look like, these were of the dry rub variety and thus loose that really nice caramelization and juicy look that sauced ribs get. There are methods that some dry rub guys use like using a spritz of Apple juice just before pulling them to enhance flavor and add the right moisture. I guess I'm not a dry rub kind of guy.

Anonymous said...

I am a baby back rib type of gal. Since I do not have a backyard, terrace or grill I have to bake mine : (.
I buy the ribs from Costco (2.99 a lb), wash them in Apple Cider vinegar. Massage the rub into those babies, leave them in the fridge over night. Take the suckers out before noon. Throw thow them in a disposable heavy duty aluminum pan with a little bit of water in the bottom. Cover them with aluminum foil and bake/steam them at 300 for 2 hours. Remove from oven, get my biggest stainless chef's bowl out. Use four bottle of sweet baby rays and two bottle of open pit sauce, some cayenne pepper, brown sugar and a little bit of mustard - mix it all up. Coat the ribs in the sauce. Throw them back in the oven for an hour and a half - two hours uncovered. Serve with baked mac and cheese, arroz con gandules (peas and yellow rice), sauteed spinach and onion sweet potato pie and cheddar cheese cornbread. Been making my ribs the same way for the past twelve years and no one has ever complained... : )
Maybe I will send you a slab in the mail someday CDM : )

All that membrane talk gave me a tummy ache...

Anonymous said...

Isn't a restaurant calling their ribs "the world's greatest" merely an extension of the saying, "my blog, my rules"?, as in "My restaurant, my rules"?

The CDM said...

Caspar - don't make promises...
Don't get this cracker crust get jonesin' for ribs now.

Anon - That sounds familiar somehow, wish I knew were I heard that before.
This means I now proclaim myself "Greatest Shit Disturber".

Anonymous said...

Did you know that I am The Ozarks' greatest award-winning blogger? It's the TRUTH. I have awards to prove it. By the way, did I tell you that I won award cause that's how I know.

Emily said...

I've never been there! I don't know...I haven't really heard that much about it. It seems like I would have, if it's the world's best.

Chatterness said...

Damn, I'm hungry now! LOL