Sunday, May 18, 2008

Hard Times Make People Do the Right Thing

I'm going to take my shot at the "Stupid Quote of the Day". This is an actual quote from a NY Times article:

“I’m in a bind, I’m really in a bind,” she told the hot-line operator. “There’s a lot of stuff I know, but I didn’t open my mouth. If I weren’t in a bind, I wouldn’t open my mouth.”

If I weren't in a bind, I wouldn't open my mouth??? Are you kidding me??? This dumbass from Macon, Ga. had the absolute gaul to ask for reward money A.S.A.P. because she turned in a wrong do'er. This comes as part of a story that concludes with the fact that more crime hotline tips are coming in than ever before...so long as the price is right. What does this say about how people are now-a-days? I couldn't be more disappointed if I was told my retirement would be solely based on social security.

I know times are tough, but when cash becomes the sole motivator to whether or not you should do the right thing is sad. I can't help but think of that line in Evan Almighty, "You can change the world. I starts with a random of kindness." Pretty sad when some of us have to go back to the basics to make even the smallest of improvements.

3 comments:

Whiner Girl said...

That's a sad fact about society these days. The whole, "what's in it for me?" attitude. Makes me just shake my head and sigh ...

Anonymous said...

That is sad. People shouldn't do stuff just so they'll get something out of it, they should do things because it's the right thing to do.

California Girl said...

I tell ya, its the way people have been taught these days. It was not like this when I was growing up, seriously. If someone has to be paid to do the right thing, its a sad commentary on the state of this country.