Friday, June 6, 2008

Another Example Of Human Indifference



This is the raw footage of Angel Torres crossing the street being grazed by one car then getting hit straight on by another. The 2 cars involved fled the scene and left the man there to die. As despicable as that is, that isn't all of it. People who witnessed the hit-and-run did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! Oh sure, a few calls eventually were made to 9-1-1, but notice in the video how people just walk to him, then walk away. The poor guy was nothing more to them than a morbid attraction.

I post this, not just because of the story itself, but it immediately made me say to my self, "Self, this is no different than those lookie-loos that rubberneck at a bad accident on the interstate or highways and create MORE wrecks." Here's the deal, if you can't be part of the solution, don't add to the problem or BECOME a problem. Do you know how many wreck come about as a direct result of rubbernecking? It infuriates me to no end to see people like those dip shits in Hartford, CT. A bad accident is a tragedy, not a chance to be entertained while in your car or walking by. I've seen plenty of bad wrecks here in S.W. Mo. where HWY 65 and 60 meet and I just keep driving. Let the person have some dignity. If you can't help or just don't want to help, then MOVE ON!

(I smell another new rule.) NEW RULE: Those who cause an accident while rubbernecking shall be charged DOUBLE what the normal offenses call for AND you MUST show up for court to pay the fine as you will not be able to simply mail it in. You will be showcased yourself for all to see in the courtroom as to who the is the rubbernecker.

7 comments:

Coby said...

Sickening, just plain sickening.

Chatterness said...

Damn, no one wants to get involved even when a person may be taking their last breath. How sad.

Anonymous said...

That's a good new rule.

I couldn't bring myself to watch that video as I've heard about it and know what happens. It is horrible. I think if I were there I would have called 911 right away, and I probably would have gone to the man to try to talk to him and see if he was ok...keep him company until help got there. I don't think I could have done anything else since I'm not trained as an emergency responder, but I would have tried to let the man know he wasn't alone and help was on the way.

mama biscuit said...

I like your new rule!

Whiner Girl said...

The part I'm having the hardest time with is that not ONE of those gawkers got down to his level to speak with him or to comfort him or let him know help was on the way. Every single one of those bystanders in the cluster (6 or so?) deserve to have the exact same thing happen to them. Effing people these days ... Grrrrr.

Anonymous said...

my little brother posted a story on indifference on his blog a couple of weeks ago...it was about some poor kid on a bus who was syabbed and beheaded by some mental fellow bus driver ... and no one did anything on the bus to help him : )
everyone ran off the bus and let the psycho kill the guy...
check his blog
http://therecanbeonlyone-gbhanley.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I meant to put a sad face : (
not a smiley face : )