Friday, June 6, 2008

Cars Are More Trouble Than They're Worth

The Stinger Missile


Anybody good at crunching numbers or good at making solid investments will tell you that a car is probably the worst investment you can make. I subscribe to that idea and will add that it's a lousy way to keep your sanity as it gains mileage...as does the person. From a not-so-recent post, I spent time, money and aggravation replacing the O2 sensor. Not too long ago, ANOTHER check engine light goes off. This time it's a tumble generator valve...??? I have never heard of such a device on a car til now. It was actually the sensor and it involves(more man talk hear, ladies and uninterested men, amuse yourselves at this time) regulating the airflow to the intake. This faulty sensor caused me to get a 20% reduction on my mileage. As you know, gas is higher than the expectations of Britney Spears and Linsey Lohan getting their shit together AND I have to buy premium fuel, OUCH! Well, $500 later(job could not be performed by me as I do not have the equipment for this job) and a few miles down the road, the A/C goes out. I have a leak and need a new compressor...BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!! I looked myself to check the timing belt to see how it was holding up, it needs replacing...ANOTHER $775! Did I mention that it is time for the oil change as well? With all this in mind, the thought went through my head as whether or not I should just sell my car as dealerships don't like making even trades. Keep in mind, this thing has over 120,000 miles on it and hasn't given me hardly any grief at all up to this point. I was hoping the Stinger Missile would hold out til the new line of TDI's hit the states, but DAMN! The maintenance bills are scarier than Joan Rivers before AND after photos. Lets recap, shall we:

Oil change...$45
Used A/C compressor and install...$240
Tumble Generator Valve sensor replacement...$500
Timing, power steering and crank belts...$775
The look on my face when I get the next credit card statement...AHHHH, PISS OFF!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

The problem with cars is that we need them. Especially when you live where I live. I'm not near a whole lot. Damn planned subdivision!

mama biscuit said...

Yikes. Suddenly I feel a little better about the $100 receipt my husband handed me from when he filled up his truck yesterday.

Chatterness said...

HOLY TOLEDO! OMG....
I would have just traded it in!!!

The CDM said...

I wish I could just trade it in, problem is I can't and won't make car payments, not within my scope of income.

Busplunge said...

Hey CDM, there is a pretty nice looking mid 70's Ford pickup for sale at the old DQ on North Glenstone across from the DAV Store. Best part: $750.00!

One of my wife's uncles used to buy junkers and run them til they fell apart then buy another one. I don't think he ever titled or insured one. Not that I am suggesting you do that, but he always had a different car.

Of course, he lived in Iowa.

California Girl said...

One piece of advice my dad gave me, which he applied to cars but it really applies to life too: It takes more time than you thought, it costs more money and it draws a little blood. Every time I have worked on a car these three rules have always applied.

Good luck!

The CDM said...

Bp, I appreciate the heads up, even though those things get like 5 MPG. I don't even have the spare cash right now to flip that truck even for double the value. On a different note, I have some great Ford pickup stories, those things are tanks.

Cali girl I hear ya, nkow them all too well by experience alone.

Rhea said...

Oh, ouch! The stinger missle is complaining a bit in it's old age, it sounds like. We just had to bite it and buy a new car, a new-to-me car.

I loved your Joan Rivers, Lindsey Lohan and Britney Spears remarks. lol You have a wonderful sense of humor.

Michelle said...

that totally sucks. you're right.

Jason said...

Dude...that sucks. I'm sorry.

The CDM said...

Dude, you're tellin' me? Man, I usually don't go through this kind of expense until the first of each semester. Worst part is, I still haven't put on that A.C. compressor or received my award letter yet. Lithium may be in my near future, indeed.